Château Cos d'Estournel
Château Cos d’Estournel begins in 1811 when its owner Louis Gaspard Lacoste of Maniban Marquis d’Estournel, having inherited some vineyards near the village of Cos, decides to vinify them separately. The wine of Cos d’Estournel was born. Very quickly, the wine surpasses the most prestigious wines and is exported to India. In 1855, Cos d’Estournel acceded to the classification of 1855 as second classified growth. In all, five owners were at the head of Cos d’Estournel. The last one was Michel Reybier, who bought the Château in 2000 and undertook many changes including a brand new barrel cellar but above all, a 100% gravity winemaking cellar: a real innovation in the region.
The vineyard of Château Cos d’Estournel now covers 91 hectares. On this terroir with meager peaks and on the southern slopes, Cabernet Sauvignon (60% of the vineyard) find their soils of choice. On the eastern slopes and on the coasts where the limestone basement of Saint-Estèphe is exposed, the Merlots (40% of the vineyard). Only wines from vineyards over twenty years old will bear the name of Château Cos d’Estournel.
At Château Cos d’Estournel, vinification adapts to the character of the harvest, to favor the expression of the terroir and this thanks to a new cellar. Precise grape sorting and pure gravity pumping using 4 lift vats as well as precise control of fermentation temperatures favor the selection of the softest tannins and the preservation of the fruit. The aging in new oak barrels merrain discretely enhances aromas and flavors with a fair woody.
Château Cos d’Estournel
Pagodes de Cos