Château Chauvin began in 1852 during the division of the great stronghold of Corbin, giving birth to multiple properties, including Chauvin which was then acquired by Jean Fourcaud-Laussac. The latter, who had just offered what would become the Cheval Blanc castle, did considerable work on both areas. From 1891 until 2014, three generations of the family Ondet succeed on the property, bringing all their determination to make a great wine, multiplying the investments. At the first grading of the Crus in 1954, Chauvin is selected among the 80 classified crus of Saint-Emilion, out of nearly 1000 listed crus. Since then, Chauvin maintains his position at each revision of the ranking. In 2014, a new page is written when Sylvie CAZES and her children acquire the Château. They wish to continue the work done by the Ondet family while giving them the best assets to succeed: restructuring of wine-making methods and wine making, material investments, drainage of the entire vineyard, environmental commitment, etc.
The terroir extends north-west of the town of Saint-Émilion, halfway between Cheval-Blanc and the Butte de Rol, near the Pomerol appellation. It is planted mainly with Merlot (75%) which expresses itself admirably on this vineyard. The areas where the clay is most exposed are planted with Cabernet Franc (20%) and Cabernet Sauvignon (5%), grapes that perfectly match this type of terroir.
Folie de Chauvin